Monday, January 31, 2011

It's Been a While

I think settling into a new culture and the posting lifestyle makes time speed up and slow down in a random way. In some ways I'm surprised that I've been here for almost 6 months, in other ways it feels like I've lived here for two years.  I guess I can recap about some of the things I've noticed recently about myself and this post.

First of all I've become very adept at setting up drink and coffee events at our house.  We have more people over than we ever did in Ottawa and I'm getting very good at setting up for house guests.  I'm starting to see why many Foreign Service spouses write books about hospitality and cooking.

I've started to miss my old house, but I'm pretty sure I don't miss the real house, only the one in my head.  I'm sure many people miss home when they move to another place, the difference is when you go out on post you know that you'll probably go back.  This is very true for those that own property back home that they rent out until they return.  On that respect, I'm sure I've said this before, but property managers are a spectacular idea.  I have whole weeks that I don't even think about the house, and that's because I don't have to.

So with the economy in Greece being in slight shambles I don't really have a job.  I rectify this issue I decided to volunteer at a few places to keep me in my grove, gain some experience, and keep myself from loafing too much.  The work is great, and I'm learning a whole lot.  I recommend that any spouse on post that doesn't have kids to deal with, try volunteering.

Finally I've discovered something that I've never felt before, since I've never really lived out of country this long.  I've discovered the want to visit other places.  It's not that I'm bored with Greece, I just need a break from it.  We've booked our first vacation and it's proven to be a little difficult.  I mean where does one go when you live in a vacation hot spot.  Most travel agents and vacation website, when I look up "vacation in Europe" suggest Greece.

No comments:

Post a Comment